What information do you need to make a claim?

HMRC have now provided a list of information required to make a claim when the new system becomes live on 20 April 2020.

It has been confirmed you’ll need to provide the following to make a claim:

  • The bank account number and sort code you’d like HMRC to use when we pay your claim.
  • The name and phone number of the person in your business for HMRC to call with any questions.
  • Your Self-Assessment UTR (Unique Tax Reference), Company UTR or CRN (Company Registration Number).
  • The name, employee number and National Insurance number for each of your furloughed employees.
  • The total amount being claimed for all employees and the total furlough period.

If you use a registered agent who is authorised to act for you for PAYE purposes, they will be able to make a claim on your behalf, so please speak to them now however, if you use a file-only agent (files your RTI return but doesn’t act for you in other matters), they won’t be able to make a claim for you and you’ll need the information listed above from them to make the claim yourself.

R & J Business Solutions are a registered agent and we can help you complete your claim. Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss this with you.

HMRC have confirmed you will need to calculate the claim amount yourself, the new system will not do this for you. Don’t forget in addition to the gross wages of furloughed staff you can also claim employers National Insurance and the minimum employers pension contribution up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.